Need that caffeine fix? Get it with these Coffee Meringues, a coffee-infused version of traditional airy and crisp meringues.
I’ll be the first to admit it: I am a meringue addict.
It all started with my Nutella Meringues recipe, where the combination of sweet, fluffy, shiny meringue batter and melted Nutella sent me into a delightful meringue coma. Since then, I have even been guilty of whipping up (literally) some meringue batter just to savour that unique taste. I suppose my brand new Kitchenaid stand mixer, the love of my life, didn’t help.
I don’t know about you guys, but I have an addictive personality. Once I get a hold of something I really like, I get absolutely obsessed with it for about 2-6 weeks on average. Don’t believe me? Here’s a list off the top of my head of things I’ve gotten immersed in for a short period of time:
- Rock climbing
- Meal planning
- Barn wood-inspired DIYs
- Container gardening
Luckily, my food blog and food photography is not one of those listed, or you wouldn’t be reading this right now. On the other hand, there are some things that I’ve committed to for long periods of time and continue to appreciate as the years go by:
- Cooking elaborate dinners
- Museums/art galleries
- Eating a lot of food
- DIY decor
- Men (looking at you, Alex)
Unfortunately, this strange little journey into my personal life will have to come to a close. I need to tell you all about these coffee meringues.
Using the same base as my Nutella Meringues (hey, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!), I folded in some bold instant coffee granules to spike it with a rich caffeine taste. From there, fill a pastry bag or heavy-duty Ziploc bag with the meringue batter, snip off the end and pipe the meringues onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle with a bit of leftover coffee granules, and voila: coffee meringues!
Check out CK on Instagram! If you try out one of my recipes, tag @CrumbKitchen so I can see your delicious creations. 🙂
Total Cost = $0.71 (Budget breakdown below recipe)
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp. cream of tartar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. instant coffee granules, divided
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Prepare a large cookie sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer with a whisk, whip the egg whites on high speed until light and foamy. Add in sugar, cream of tartar and salt and mix until stiff peaks form and the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Gently fold in 1 tsp. instant coffee granules until combined.
- Fill a Ziploc bag with the tip cut off or a piping bag with the meringue batter and pipe onto the prepared cookie sheet, leaving at least 1 inch in between. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp. of coffee granules.
- Bake meringues for 50 minutes to 1 hour, then allow to cool. Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container 2-3 days.
Adapted from my Nutella Meringue recipe.
3 egg whites = $0.45
3/4 cup granulated sugar = $0.14
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar = $0.03
1/2 tsp. salt = $0.01
2 tsp. instant coffee granules = $0.08