The creaminess of white chocolate pairs beautifully with the dried cranberries and walnut pieces in these White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies.
Nothing says ‘holiday spirit’ quite like Christmas cookies. Trust me, I should know; I’m that slightly unnerving person who puts up their Christmas tree on November 1. Or in this year’s case, Oct. 30.
You know, that girl who is all gung-ho about Halloween until midnight on Oct. 31, when suddenly the Cinderella spell ends and her Instagram feed becomes a one-woman tribute to Christmas? Pinterest boards suspiciously turn over to holiday-themed ones and suddenly your homepage looks like the wall of someone with a Christmas-themed restraining order?
It’s an addiction.
Thankfully the fruits of my holiday addiction labour comes in the form of these white chocolate cranberry cookies, one of my favourite cookies and a Christmas season mainstay in my house.
Who can say no to a soft and chewy cookie loaded with creamy white chocolate chips, snaps of walnut pieces, and the sweet tang of dried cranberries? No one in their right mind, that’s who. While cookie dough itself is a godsend, I’m absolutely positive no one can say no to taste-testing a bite or two of this dough as well. Try it out in your house and see how fast the dough goes.
One of the best uses for these cookies are in the form of gifts. Sometimes you’re okay with eating a dozen cookies in your PJs and watching re-runs of Gilmore Girls, but sometimes you have to make the
wrong right choice and give them away, keeping a few for later of course.
With these elusive cookie swaps I hear so much about and yet have never experienced firsthand, I’d imagine these white chocolate cranberry cookies would be the first pick of all the cookie-hungry people you’re surrounded by.
Who can blame them, right?
Total Cost = $7.40 (Budget breakdown below recipe)
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 and ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- ¾ cup white chocolate chips
- ½ cup walnut pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in a large bowl using an electric mixer until smooth. Mix in the vanilla and eggs. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour and baking soda. Gradually mix the flour mixture into the creamed mixture by hand. Fold in cranberries, white chocolate chips and walnut pieces until combined.
- Form into flattened balls and place on cookie sheets. Bake one sheet at a time for 9-12 minutes, or until cookies and lightly golden and edges are baked. Cool on a wire rack.
Recipe adapted from the Food Network.
1/2 cup salted butter, softened = $0.48
1/2 cup packed brown sugar = $0.36
1/2 cup granulated sugar = $0.09
1 tbsp. vanilla extract = $0.45
1 large egg = $0.15
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour = $0.21
1 and 1/2 tsp. baking soda = $0.01
1 cup dried cranberries = $2.00
3/4 cup white chocolate chips = $2.40
1/2 cup walnut pieces = $1.25