Minty, creamy and full of tiny chocolate shavings, these Skinny Shamrock Shakes are a healthy take on a classic St. Patrick’s Day milkshake.
Are any of you lovely readers celebrators of St. Patrick’s Day? And by that, I mean do you party on St. Patty’s? I actually had no clue about the origins of St. Patrick’s Day before writing this post, guessing that is was vaguely related to a Christian Saint from Ireland. Apparently, the real story is not that this beloved Saint drove snakes out of Ireland or used the shamrock to demonstrate the Holy Trinity. Oh no, it’s far more interesting than that. Apparently a teenage St. Patrick was kidnapped by Irish pirates, made a rare, daring escape, then finally returned to Ireland as a missionary and eventually became a bishop. Very cool.
Now, St. Patrick’s Day has progressed (regressed?) so much that it’s virtually unrecognizable from its original namesake. On the plus side, you get to dress in green and have drinking contests even if you’re not Irish, so there’s that. I don’t even remember last St. Patrick’s Day . . . but not for the reasons you think. I’m pretty sure I was hyperventilating in some corner of my university as I finished my final year while juggling three part-time jobs and volunteering. Now I work one full-time job, one part-time job, and manage my blog on the side. Wait, was I supposed to cut back? Oops. 😛
I’m not one to partake in the party-version of St. Patrick’s Day festivities, but I do appreciate a good green-tinged dessert and the fun decorations that go up around local shops. Perhaps one of the best known St. Patrick’s Day treats is the iconic Shamrock Shake from McDonald’s, a deliciously thick blend of ice cream and what I can only guess is mint extract and preservatives. Like all ice cream from McDonald’s, I am a huge fan, but being mildly lactose-intolerant, my stomach is not. That’s why these Skinny Shamrock Shakes help in two ways:
- They’re dairy-free and vegan, if you sub in vegan chocolate chips (or just eat them like I do, because they’re so tiny.)
- They ACTUALLY TASTE LIKE A SHAMROCK SHAKE FROM MCDONALD’S. I am not lying. Somehow they taste exactly like one of those good ol’ full-fat milkshakes, minus the lactose and calories and plus spinach (!).
I am amazed at how good these Skinny Shamrock Shakes taste. When you slurp them up in a straw (always use a straw, not a spoon. What are we, barbarians?), they taste fresh and minty, with delicious tiny bursts of blended chocolate chips that melt in your mouth. The slight coconut taste pairs well with the spinach to somehow cancel each other out, leaving just milkshake-y goodness.
Oh, and pro tip? Drinking one of these Skinny Shamrock Shakes while wearing a ‘Kiss Me I’m Irish’ shirt will get you far. No beer breath!
Check out CK on Instagram! If you try out one of my recipes, tag @CrumbKitchen so I can see your delicious creations. 🙂
Total Cost = $1.73 (Budget breakdown below recipe)
- 1 medium frozen banana, chopped
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ tsp. peppermint or mint extract
- 1 cup canned coconut milk, shaken*
- ¼ cup fresh spinach
- 5-10 drops green food colouring (optional)
- Place all ingredients except for food colouring into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- To turn the smoothie green, add in 5-10 drops of food colouring depending on how green you want it. Blend until colour is mixed. Serve immediately.
*You can also use any type of milk (almond, soy, regular), though it will be less creamy.
Recipe adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie.
1 medium frozen banana, chopped = $0.15
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips = $0.50
1/4 tsp. peppermint or mint extract = $0.08
1 cup canned coconut milk, shaken* = $0.90
1/4 cup fresh spinach = $0.10