Pillowy clouds of sweet meringue swirled with warm melted Nutella create a beautiful, elegant treat in these Nutella Meringues.
Nutella, am I right? Plus meringue? Be still my heart.
I was first introduced to Nutella by two English friends of my aunt while we were vacationing in Italy the summer I turned 16. Up until that point, I mistakenly believe that Nutella would taste like burnt nuts and bland paste. Oh boy was I wrong.
From that point on, I became a woman obsessed. I was not satisfied with spreading its rich hazelnutty beauty onto croissants. Oh no, I ate that stuff by the spoonful.
In a similar fashion, I believed foolishly that meringues would taste like chalk. I’m not sure where I was getting these completely unfounded notions, but about a year ago I tasted my first meringue, a pillowy pink confection that tasted like a cloud.
Here we are: Nutella is delicious. Meringues are to die for. Put them together and what have you got? Nutella meringue goodness, also known as heaven in your mouth.
These Nutella meringues have a firm exterior with a melt-in-your-mouth middle. They’re airy and light with a swirl of Nutella flavour running through in ribbons. Of course, beauty means sacrifices. Meringues are finicky creatures to make, but if you follow my instructions below to the T, you’ll be all set.
Mmmm, that glossy sheen of pre-baked meringues, all sugary and fluffy. Excuse me, now I have to go eat six.
Check out CK on Instagram! If you try out one of my recipes, tag @CrumbKitchen so I can see your delicious creations. 🙂
Total Cost = $1.21 (Budget breakdown below recipe)
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp. cream of tartar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup Nutella
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Prepare a large cookie sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer with a whisk, whip the egg whites on high speed until lightened and foamy. Add in sugar, cream of tartar and salt and mix until stiff peaks form and the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Microwave Nutella for 30-45 seconds or until completely liquified. Take one large spoonful of Nutella and drizzle in onto the bowl of meringue mixture. Do NOT mix.
- Using a spoon or large cookie scoop, scoop out meringue and place onto prepared baking sheet. It will look slightly marbled. Continue until all meringue has been scooped onto the sheet. Drizzle the remaining Nutella over the meringues on the baking sheet. Gently swirl with the back of a spoon, flattening slightly as you go.
- Bake meringues for 1 hour, then allow to cool.
Recipe adapted from Broma Bakery.
3 egg whites = $0.45
3/4 cup granulated sugar = $0.14
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar = $0.03
1/2 tsp. salt = $0.01
1/3 cup Nutella = $0.58