These Festive Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls with shredded coconut and rice krispies are the perfect bite-sized treat for the holidays.
Exciting news: Beginning the first week in January, Crumb Kitchen will be posting not once, but twice per week! More desserts! More waistline! Get excited.
What does the holiday season–whether you celebrate Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanza, something else or nothing at all–mean to you?
Maybe it means attending church or synagogue, or perhaps it just means the horrible time you have to wake up at 5 a.m. every day to shovel two feet of snow off your driveway. As a food lover, Christmas to me means FOOD. And lots of it, including these addicting chocolate peanut butter balls.
Now before you get the wrong idea, food is so much more than a substance you digest to gain energy. Food, especially around the holiday season, is something that brings people together. In a world littered with screens and individualism, most people still gather around a dinner table to laugh, share and eat, all without distractions.
Food is powerful. It can bring together people from different political, religious or socioeconomic backgrounds to all bond over the same thing. It can make you feel happier and introduce you to flavours or ingredients you’ve never tasted before. Food is pretty neat.
That’s why I love making these chocolate peanut butter balls every Christmas. They’re one of my holiday go-to recipes simply because they’re messy and fun to make, and everyone seems to go nuts for them.
The delicious, sugary combination of peanut butter, rice krispies and coconut create the soft, chewy base while the smooth melted milk and semi-sweet chocolate coat everything in a rich shell. They’re just waiting to be bitten into.
Plus, who doesn’t want to fool around with dunking things into melted chocolate? Little known fact: when you get melted chocolate on your fingers and lick it off, calories don’t count. I know right? Sweet deal.
Total Cost = $5.98 (Budget breakdown below recipe)
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 cup rice krispies
- 2 cups chocolate chips (half milk, half semi-sweet)
- 4 tbsp. butter
- Prepare a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients except for chocolate and second addition of butter in a large bowl until sticky and thoroughly mixed.
- Drop balls onto parchment-lined cookie sheet and place in refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight with plastic wrap covering the balls.
- Once balls are firm, in a medium bowl melt chocolate chips and butter together in the microwave on medium-power for 1 minute at a time until melted.
- Dip balls into chocolate and shake off excess. Place balls back on the parchment-lined cookie sheet and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve, or keep refrigerated until serving.
Recipe adapted from here.
1/2 cup peanut butter = $0.50
1/3 cup butter, melted = $0.19
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract = $0.04
1 cup shredded coconut = $0.60
1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar = $0.14
1 cup rice krispies = $0.27
2 cups chocolate chips (half milk, half semi-sweet) = $4.00
4 tbsp. butter = $0.24