The classic black forest cake is re-imagined as Easy Black Forest Cupcakes with a dark chocolate base, creamy frosting, and a cherry middle.
I’m going to be honest with you: I love difficult recipes and spending hours slaving away on the icing of a cake, or baking intricately designed tarts. The kitchen is my playground and I’ve been in love with exploring it ever since I was young.
But for some people, the thought of spending copious amounts of time cooking or baking makes their skin crawl. I get it! That’s why this recipe for easy black forest cupcakes with cherry filling is for you folks. You get all the perks of a fancy dessert with minimal time, thanks to the beauty of combining homemade creations with store-bought staples.
Less time in the kitchen = More time to eat.
The usual chocolatey, fudgey cupcake recipe I use is the base to this dessert, and the only part that is not store-bought. After all, if you want anything made from scratch, it’s your base.
Then comes the easy peasy part of these easy black forest cupcakes. Pull out your cherry pie filling, container of French vanilla frosting, and a few maraschino cherries, and you’re ready. Carving out little holes in the centres of the baked cupcakes takes mere seconds (and is fun to do—channel your inner child) and a quick piping or spreading of the already-made frosting can be done in practically no time at all.
Add your cherry on top and a sprinkle of chocolate shavings if you desire, and you have a company-approved dessert lined up. How simple is that?
The best part? When you sink your teeth into these black forest cupcakes, not only do you get rich chocolate cake, creamy French vanilla frosting, and a maraschino cherry topper, but you get a hidden surprise of sweet cherry pie filling in the centre.
Have I sold you on this yet? I know, I know, I’ll drop the used car salesman schtick. But as a fully grown woman who eats cherry pie filling straight out of the can for kicks, you can imagine my excitement over these cupcakes.
Hopefully you enjoy them as much as I do!
Total Cost = $4.61 (Budget breakdown below recipe)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. instant coffee granules
- ½ cup non-dairy milk (or cow's milk)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup boiling water
- ½ cup cherry pie filling
- 1 container creamy French vanilla frosting
- Dark chocolate shavings (optional)
- 12 maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners and coat lightly with cooking spray.
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and instant coffee granules in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Add in milk, vegetable oil, egg, and vanilla extract to the flour mixture with a handheld mixer on medium speed until combined well. Carefully add in boiling water and mix by hand to combine, then beat on high speed for 1 minute. (It's okay if batter is runny.)
- Pour batter into prepared cupcake liners, about ¾ full. Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until cupcakes are cooked through and bounce back when you press their tops.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes in muffin tin, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Once cupcakes are cool, take a small sharp knife and cut a small hole in the centre, about an inch wide and an inch deep. Make sure to not cut into the bottom of the cupcake; it should be a small enclosed hole for filling.
- Spoon 1-2 tbsp. of cherry pie filling into the holes to fill.
- Spoon container frosting into a frosting bag or a strong Ziplock bag and cut a tip. Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
- If desired, sprinkle chocolate shavings on top of the piped frosting for effect. Top with a maraschino cherry.
Recipe adapted from Add a Pinch.
1 cup all-purpose flour = $0.12
1 cup granulated sugar = $0.18
1/2 cup cocoa powder = $0.53
1 tsp. baking powder = $0.05
1/2 tsp. baking soda = $0.01
1/2 tsp. salt = $0.01
1/2 tsp. instant coffee granules = $0.05
1/2 cup non-dairy milk (or cow’s milk) = $0.20
1/4 cup vegetable oil = $0.08
1 egg = $0.15
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract = $0.07
1/2 cup boiling water = FREE!
1/2 cup cherry pie filling = $0.91
1 container creamy French vanilla frosting = $2.00
12 maraschino cherries = $0.25